Lefkas Town (10 mins drive from Diodati Villas), is the main commercial center and has the best shopping facilities on the island. There is a quayside road south of the causeway entrance with a busy marina. The High Street runs through the center of town and is also known as the “Pazari”, this is the main street for shopping and cafes. A mid-morning coffee in the square is ideal for a break and a perfect opportunity to see the Lefkadians in “action”! The architecture has been mainly influenced by the Venetians and the post Byzantine traditions but also by the Turkish and the English. The houses in the main part of the town are two storey buildings, very closely packed, without yards or gardens and with narrow alleyways running between them, also known as ‘Kantounia’. It is lovely to walk around the back streets of the town where you can admire the unique architectural system called “pontelarisma”. It is the typical wooden framework of the upper floors of the Lefkadian houses (the most now are wrapped in brightly painted corrugated iron) which is used as a form of protection against earthquakes introduced by the English during their rule of the island.
Lefkada Town is the capital of the island located at its north eastern side. It is the administrative, economic and cultural centre of Lefkada and has a population of about 8,000 inhabitants who are mostly engaged in agriculture and tourism. The capital is a small town that lies around the natural harbour. The major earthquakes that occur in 1948 and 1953 destroyed almost the entire island, and only some churches and a few historical monuments have survived. Among the remaining monuments is the imposing fortress of Agia Maura, built in 1300 by the Franks in order to protect the island from the pirate attacks. Lefkada Town is linked to the mainland by a narrow channel. On the entrance of the harbour, a small square full of verdant trees welcomes the visitors and gives to the town a cheerful and pleasant atmosphere. This lively part of the town offers various accommodations, cafes and shops. On the other side is the central square of the town, called Agios Spyridon, which owns its name to the 17th century church that stands on the square. Other interesting and beautiful churches can be found in the capital such as the 18th century church of Agios Nikolaos, the 17th century church of Agios Dimitrios, the 18th century church of Pantokrator and the church of the Presentation of the Virgin as well as the monastery of Panagia Faneromeni. Most of these churches house fine works from the Ionian School of Painting. Another part of the town hat is worth-seeing is Mela Street, which is full of attractive arcades. It is also the perfect route to admire the corrugated fronts of the shops and houses. Some interesting museums are scattered around the town like the Archaeological Museum located in Faneromeni Street, which houses finds from various excavations in the archeological sites of the island, the Gramophone Museum and the Folklore Museum. The central bus station of the island is located in Golemi Street opposite the yacht marina, on the eastern front. It offers regular services for most villages and beaches Source: www.greeka.com